|6 cooking apples
||Soft brown sugar
|15 g (½ oz) ground ginger
||Half a grated nutmeg
|Pinch of powdered cinnamon
||225 g (8 oz) Demerara sugar
|1.75 litres ale, mild or brown
||¼ bottle sherry
English Christmas Recipes Videos:
- Core the apples, but do not peel them.
- Fill the holes with soft brown sugar and roast in a moderate oven, to 325°F or 160° C, for about 45 minutes to one hour. Be careful not to burn them.
- In a saucepan mix the ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon and Demerara sugar. Add 600 ml of the ale and bring to the boil.
- Stir in the rest of the ale, the wine and 10 cubes of sugar which previously have been rubbed on the rind of the lemon. Heat the mixture, but do not allow it to boil.
- In a bowl put the roasted apples and pour in the hot ale mixture with half of the peeled and sliced lemon.
- Serve in pottery mugs.
English Christmas Recipes
© 2007-2019 - All Rights Reserved