Cheshire soup is one of the most delicious soups in the United States. It is very popular in Connecticut, many people and visitors usually ask restaurants for this soup. If you want to prepare it for a special occasion, the present section will provide you the steps to get a wonderful dish of Cheshire soup.
- 8 cups stock (veal-based white stock is traditional, but chicken stock or vegetable stock is fine too)
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 large leek, white and some green, chopped
- salt and white pepper
- 3 carrots, peeled and grated
- 3/4 cup oatmeal
- 2 ounces Cheshire cheese (about 1 cup crumbled)
- Garnish: paper-thin circles of leek
In a large saucepan, bring the stock to a boil. Scrape in the potatoes and leeks, salt and pepper to taste, then lower heat to a simmer, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes. Scrape in the grated carrots and oatmeal, stir, then cover and simmer for 15 more minutes. When ready to serve, stir in the cheese, cover to let melt for a few minutes, then stir and ladle into bowls. Top each bowl with a sprinkling of fresh leek circles.