English Fruit Crumble
Everybody loves English fruit crumbles. They are real traditional, old fashioned puddings. These desserts are a good way to use up odds and ends of fruit that might be going to waste. You can rescue them with the following simple recipe.
- 1 lb fruit, any type
- 3 to 4 ounces granulated sugar, depending on the sharpness or tartness of the fruit
- 6 ounces plain flour
- 3 ounces unsalted butter
- 2 ounces caster sugar
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Prepare fruit according to type.
- Place the fruit in a 1-quart oven-proof dish in layers with granulated sugar.
- Sift flour into a bowl.
- Rub butter into flour until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the caster sugar.
- Sprinkle the crumble mixture thickly and evenly over the fruit.
- Press down lightly with palm of hand then smooth the top with a knife
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Reduce the temperature to 350°F.
- Cook for a further 45 minutes or until top is lightly brown.
- Serve with fresh double cream, crème fraîche, or real custard.
© 2007-2016 - All Rights Reserved